By Antonio Barone
Finished insurance of the Josephson influence, from a survey of underlying actual thought to real and proposed engineering purposes. Considers many macroscopic quantum results with strength for technical improvement. Theoretical fabric is by way of correct discussions of gadget purposes. comprises a hundred unique figures and images.
Read or Download Physics and applications of the Josephson effect PDF
Similar solid-state physics books
Assuming an simple wisdom of quantum and statistical physics, this publication presents a accomplished advisor to central actual homes of condensed subject, in addition to the underlying concept helpful for a formal knowing in their origins. the subject material covers the valuable gains of condensed topic physics, yet with specific accessory at the houses of steel alloys.
Drawing from the vast spectrum of phenomena, defined in additional than 100,000 articles on high-Tc superconductivity, during this booklet, the authors examine these easy houses for which knowing could be completed in the framework of conventional tools of theoretical physics. this is often the case of the overdoped cuprates for which the "Bardeen application" has been learned: we all know their digital spectrum, we will calculate their uncomplicated thermodynamic and electrodynamic homes, and expect new phenomena.
Nanotubes and nanosheets are low-dimensional nanomaterials with distinctive homes that may be exploited for various purposes. This ebook bargains a whole evaluate in their constitution, homes, improvement, modeling techniques, and sensible use. It focuses realization on boron nitride (BN) nanotubes, that have had significant curiosity given their distinctive high-temperature houses, in addition to graphene nanosheets, BN nanosheets, and steel oxide nanosheets.
- Electronic Structure: Basic Theory and Practical Methods
- Frontiers of Multifunctional Integrated Nanosystems
- Scanning Tunneling Microscopy I: General Principles and Applications to Clean and Absorbate-Covered Surfaces
- Excitations in a Bose-condensed Liquid
- Topological insulators : the physics of spin helicity in quantum transport
- Scanning Probe Microscopy: Atomic Force Microscopy and Scanning Tunneling Microscopy
Additional resources for Physics and applications of the Josephson effect
13), it is characterized by some maximum phase velocity s0 . The velocity of a soliton (if it arises) will exceed s. If a plot of the dispersion law shows convexity downwards, as in the case of a sine-Gordon equation, it is characterized by the minimum phase velocity s0 , and the velocity of the existing soliton should be less than s0 . This conclusion will be proved in the following. 15) moved along a 1D crystal, remaining undeformed and losing no velocity, i. , moves “by inertia” like a particle.
Therefore, the long-wave approximation allows us to solve problems associated with local vibrations in the frequency interval ω − ωm ωm . 11 Heavy Defects and 1D Superlattice In the previous section we analyzed the local vibrations and found that only a light isotope defect could produce such a vibration with a frequency higher than all frequencies of a defectless chain. Under the conditions m − M m and ω − ωm ωm description of the problems under consideration could be performed in the long-wave approximation.
8) is characterized by two parameters (Fig. 13): the limiting frequency ω0 and the minimum phase velocity of optical vibrations s0 . Fig. 13 The dispersion law of harmonic vibrations. To simplify the equations further, we introduce the dimensionless displacement 2πu/a and denote it by the same letter u. 6) will then change slightly: ∂2 u ∂2 u = s20 2 − ω02 sin u. 9) This equation is called the sine-Gordon equation. All its physically meaningful solutions are now systematized and studied. 9) in the form u = u(x − Vt), V = const, where the function u(x) satisﬁes the boundary conditions and has a plot such as in Fig.